Here are 7 steps to help you improve teamwork:
1. Identify and assess your current situation. How is your teamwork now? Is your environment conducive to team collaboration? How about your recognition system? Your communication system?
2. Address issues. You have identified the problem areas. You need to address them. And it needs to be in a LOUD way. You need to set the tone that teamwork and team collaboration is important. And that you are willing to do what it takes to facilitate that.
3. Encourage social activities. Some of the top companies that focus on teamwork and collaboration put an extra emphasis on social activities. This gives people a chance to build real bonds with their team and build trust.
4. Define roles. As much as is possible, clearly define roles. This helps to prevent the frustration and tension of ambiguity.
5. Use problems as building blocks for teams. A problem is voiced in a certain department...what do you do? This is a great time to assign a task force or team to research the issue and come back with solutions. And make sure to alternate leadership (it's good for everyone to be the leader as well as the follower).
6. Provide feedback. It's important that you provide feedback to the team as well as to the individuals. Do you see someone that is just steam rolling others? If you don't address it, you may lose crucial feedback from people that are more reserved. Do you notice someone not giving ideas? Help them feel comfortable.
Good luck on building your super team! Stay tuned for more ways to show your team LOVE this month!