What should be included in a PIP?
- Identify the performance to be improved / behavior to be corrected. You need to be very specific.
- Provide clear expectations and metrics. You need to give the employee goals to measure themselves by.
- Provide the support / resources available. It's important to identify what resources are available to the employee to get them to meet and exceed expectations.
- Identify the follow up period. Identify the time period you will review the employee's progress.
- Specify consequences. If you show employees what you expect and what you are going to inspect, they need to know what happens if they do NOT do it. This can be oral or written warnings, suspension, demotion or even dismissal.
Performance Improvement Plans are designed to HELP the employee improve by identifying exactly what behavior needs improvement, resources available, metrics that need to be attained, and ultimate consequences.
What have YOU found to be an effective way to communicate PIPs?